Sunday, January 8, 2012

Greetings/Featured station: WFAJ-FM

For as long as I can remember, I have been a fan of music radio. At age 5, while other kids were asking for toys for Christmas, I wanted a record player. My Christmas wish came true and WFAJ-FM was born soonafter. With studios, corporate headquarters, and transmitter in my bedroom, I couldn't tell you the wattage or the HAAT (height above average terrain for non-geeks), or even the dial setting of those legendary calls...but for a few years they were a huge part of a quirky little kid's life.

WFAJ featured sports (mainly the local high school scores of the week)and weather (a quick glance out the studio window). Most importantly, the station prided itself on providing listeners with the best mix of music. WFAJ encouraged listener call-in requests (usually relatives and family friends disguising their voice).  A busy little guy took on the roles of DJ, Music Director, and Program Director. I'm still not quite sure who handled accounts....

 As I became older and figured out that WFAJ wasn't really broadc..well I won't say it-let's just say that it was more disheartening than the whole Santa Claus thing. But my love of radio continued. I would spend hours scanning the dial for "new" stations. I even convinced my dad to hook the outside antenna up to my stereo so that I could pick up the big city stations out of St. Louis more clearly (and maybe even a few far away surprises if the atmosphere was right).

So, you are probably thinking the story ends with my becoming a morning DJ, programmer, or radio exec? Life, however, has taken me elsewhere.  Aside from the many hours of programming and manning the legendary WFAJ, my sole radio experience consists of a one morning co-host stint at age 6 at a small station in southern Illinois. I have continued, however, to love radio and everything involved-music selection, personalities, local sports-everything that used to go into making each particular station unique.

Today, radio has changed in many aspects. With the rise of internet and satellite radio, there are simply more alternatives. Recent changes in the economy have also led to less local programming and more syndication/voicetracking. While I understand and appreciate the reasons behind these changes, it is still difficult for me to take. I mean, you are talking to someone who, as a kid,(as much as I liked Casey Kasem and the show) didn't even want to hear American Top-40 when he traveled through new territory. I wanted to hear the live and local programming of that particular region and still do (my wife thinks I'm nuts).

Even as technology has taken away from radio, it has also given-at least to enthusiasts. The internet has provided a means for all of us "radio geeks" to discuss and debate radio issues and topics. It has also essentially enabled me to own that magic machine I dreamed about as a kid that would pick up any radio station in the US. My ipad's 3 or 4 radio apps essentially accomplish this. On those rare quiet Saturday or Sunday afternoons when the wife and kid are napping, don't be surprised to hear me streaming a station from South Dakota.

I hope to channel (no pun intended) my interest in radio to other enthusiasts of live radio programming, dx'ing, or just about any other aspect of terrestrial radio. I also plan on highlighting the stations that I enjoy listening to, including local stations that I can pick up in my car or home, as well as some stations that I have found while traveling or streaming online.  Stations that, in the age of automation and narrow playlists, dare to set themselves apart from others in their city or their format.  It would only be fitting if the first featured station were the station most near and dear to my heart-WFAJ.

I am not an expert in the field by any means and I realize that my tastes and preferences are just that. Take this blog for what it is and what it is intended to be: an Illinois lawyer and radio enthusiast's tribute to the industry that has forever shaped him and continues to be his favorite hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment